Schools and communities have challenged and banned books for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons might surprise you! Let's take a look at the most commonly cited cases for challenging books and the titles that have been challenged due to those reasons.
1. Sexually explicit material, cited 92 times since 2013
2. Offensive language, cited 73 times since 2013
3. Unsuited for age group, cited 67 times since 2013
4. Violence, cited 49 times since 2013
5. Religious viewpoint, cited 22 times since 2013
Other reasons cited in book challenges include nudity, racism, homosexuality and cultural insensitivity. Huffington Post also notes that out of all the book challenge reasons since 2013, none cited technical errors. Do you think books with controversial topics should be banned from schools and public bookshelves? Is it better to censor books instead of removing them completely? Share your thoughts!